Now Hiring!!! Looking for a fun, summer job? We are hiring for lifeguards, water safety instructors, concession workers, cashiers, and maintenance personnel for the Jones Aquatic Center. Great hours and an awesome work environment! Pay ranges between $7.60-$9.10/hr. Applications may be completed at ERC or on the website, www.emporiarec.org. Jones Aquatic Center Lifeguard Tryouts Certified lifeguards looking to work at the Jones Aquatic Center for the summer are asked to attend this try-out to determine job potential. Applicants will perform lifeguarding skills and participate in a group interview. Please bring a copy of your lifeguard certification and wear a swim suit. Saturday, March 31 1:00 p.m. or Sunday, April 29 1:00 p.m.
Jones Aquatic Center Cashiers/Concessions Interviews Applicants will be asked to perform a math assessment, a customer service greeting, and a cash handling check during this group interview session. Saturday, March 31 9:00 a.m. or Sunday, April 29 9:00 a.m.
American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor Class The purpose of this instructor course is to train instructor candidates to teach American Red Cross Swimming Lessons. Participants will be instructed on the strategies for planning and preparing for effective and safe swim lessons. Course materials are not provided to keep class costs down, but are available to purchase or download from the American Red Cross website. Certification does not expire as long as you teach and submit paperwork for one ARC swim course every two years. Participants must be at least 16 years old on or before the last day of the class and able to perform the following swimming skills:
- Swim the following strokes consistent with the Stroke Performance Charts, Level 4:
- Front Crawl –25 yards
- Back Crawl –25 yards
- Breaststroke –25 yards
- Elementary Backstroke –25 yards
- Sidestroke –25 yards
- Butterfly –15 yards
- Maintain position on back for 1 minute in deep water (floating or sculling)
- Tread water for 1 minute
*Students must complete online work prior to the first day of class. Information will be emailed one week prior to the class. Min./Max.: 4/10 Dates: Monday-Friday May 28-June 1 7:00-11:30 am Registration Closes: May 21 Fee: $150
American Red Cross Lifeguard Training Get your lifeguard certification for the next summer! This course will provide participants the skills needed to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies. Participants will also gain the knowledge to provide professional level care for cardiac and breathing emergencies, injuries and sudden illness until emergency medical personnel take over. This 2-year certification will qualify participants for most entry-level aquatic positions. Participants must be at least 15 years of age and able to complete the following pre-requisites:
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. You may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed.
- Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. You should place your hands under your armpits.
- Complete the following timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. Your face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on your back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object while keeping your face at or near the surface so you are able to get a breath. You should not swim the distance under water. Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
*Students must complete online work prior to the first day of class. Information will be emailed one week prior to the class. Choose Session 1 or Session 2 below. Min./Max.: 4/10
Date: Mon-Fri August 6-10 Time: 7:00-11:30am Registration Closes: July 26 Fee: $150
Jr. Lifeguard Training: Are you cut out to be a lifeguard? Learn what it takes from the JAC lifeguards. This class will take you through the basics of lifeguarding, CPR, and first aid. By the end of the class, you should know if lifeguarding is for you. Ages 11-15. Minimum/Maximum 4/10. Fee: $26 R/$29 NR Dates: July 23-Aug 2 M-Th 9:55-10:25 a.m. Registration closes July 18
Water Safety Instructor Aid Training: Have you completed all the levels of swim lessons, yet still want to continue lessons? This class is for you. Participants will learn how to conduct effective and safe swim lessons. Hands on training is incorporated in the class as the participants will assist with lessons taking place. Minimum/Maximum 4/10. Fee: $26 R/$29 NR Dates: June 18-28 M-Th 10:30-11:10 a.m. Registration closes July 18